Admissions - 01992 717 835

History of the School

St. Ignatius College is a Roman Catholic Comprehensive School for boys and in the trusteeship of The Society of Jesus (the Jesuits). It was founded at Stamford Hill in 1894, and moved to the Enfield site in 1968. Like all Jesuit schools, its aim is to provide a sound, intellectual and technological formation, not as an end in itself but as an aid to the fullest possible development of each individual student.

The College can trace its distant origin back to the school founded in 1687 in the royal palace of the Savoy under the protection of James II. This school only lasted as long as the King’s reign (22 years). However in the late nineteenth century Cardinal Vaughan asked the Jesuits to open a school in North London. It was founded at Stamford Hill in 1894 and opened on 10th September with 46 pupils and a dog! The school remained at Stamford Hill as a grammar school until 1968 when it moved to the Enfield site as an all boys’ comprehensive school.

Like all Jesuit schools, its aim is to provide a sound, intellectual and technological formation, not as an end in itself but as an aid to the fullest possible development of each individual student.

Amdg logo final

Ad maiorem dei gloriam

For the greater glory of God